My Photo
Name:
Location: Kentucky

Saturday, March 28, 2009

How I Briefly Mistook Fighter Jets for a Pair of Ducks

I just got home from a car trip to the nearest city to buy art supplies. While driving home I heard the roar of a jet just above my car. I wondered why one would be so low and loud so far from the airport, a little strange. It sounded to be right above the car so I looked out the windows. Seeing nothing, I waited a few seconds thinking it was really right above me and out of my line of sight. Scanning the sky again I saw a pair of ducks flying off in the distance heading towards the river... but whoa, those aren't ducks. It's two fighter jets and the loud roar was coming from them, it's a frightening sound, hugely powerful, dark and intense. A lightening fast chain of thoughts flew through my mind, what are they doing, why are they flying here, they represent nothing but death and destruction to me, then thoughts of one of my favorite students who joined the air force to be a navigator and wondering how he lives with himself knowing what his missions really mean or is this particular road to personal insanity completely blocked from the conscious mind of the troops; all the while following the flight of those "ducks" as they quickly disappear into the distance. At some point I'd turned up Santana to drown out the sickening roar.
Each moment we traverse a giant web of fleeting interactions, maybe more like fleeting glimpses I guess, as we all journey on our intersecting paths. How vastly different, yet frighteningly close my path can come that of pure evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home